Yep, here’s that same old dock scene. All custom built miniatures and painted backdrop. I still haven’t done final touchups, but the foggy and fog-free images are composited. Soon it will be ready for print.
I am also building structural elements for the iceberg scene, photos of that will be forthcoming.
I don’t have the very final image composited yet, but I did take the photos. This image is the foggy version of the final shot. After I took several shots with my regular lighting/environmental setup, I took several with different levels of fog—created by my fog machine. I was sort of afraid the neighbors might get concerned when I turned the fan on to air it out and smoke started to billow out of window. Apparently, they have seen me doing enough strange things that they weren’t concerned.
I will be compositing one of the non-atmospheric shots with this one so that I can control the depth and atmosphere and still be able to work with full contrast where I need it.
This still isn’t the final image. However, I have most of the elements finished and am setting them up. I still have the painted backdrop to add and need to figure out the lighting. Luckily, because everything in the shot is static, I can use a longer exposure and don’t have to worry as much about getting daylight levels with my lights in the little back room studio.
Things are coming together, I just need to finish this one off and then get moving on subsequent images 😉 P.S. If you haven’t been following my blog hitherto, everything pictured here is hand made, custom for this illustration.
As I have been saying in some of my recent posts, I am working on building miniature sets and models to create a series of illustrations. This image isn’t from that series, but it was a sort of test run to see if the concept was a valid way for me to work. I also wanted to try submitting something in that style to the Society of Illustrators Student Competition. It just so happened that the day I started working on the image was also the deadline for the competition. that means I had to finish it in a matter of hours and get it photographed before the sun went down.
I ended up cutting a lot of corners on the construction. I had to give him a bundle of dowels to carry instead of the rifle I had been planning on making. I was also planning on photographing him at a frozen lake. Unfortunately, the road to the lake was closed for construction. I decided I would try to take some shots next to the railroad tracks where I had stopped. I was soon sent away by a railroad worker who informed me that I was trespassing and might distress the train engineers because, apparently, people who wander near railroad tracks sometimes have tragic intentions. The light was then failing and I decided my only option was to cross the valley and drive up the mountain to a point where the sun would still reach me. I did and this is one of the shots I got (magical sparkles added for emphasis).
Anyway, it wasn’t accepted to the Society show, but I had a good time making it, and learned some things that are proving useful in my current endeavors.